Coat: J.Crew | Sweater: J.Crew (40% off today with code MONDAY) | Denim: 7FAM (40% off today) | Boots: MICHAEL Michael Kors | Bag: Coach | Sunglasses: Karen Walker (part of Shopbop's Cyber Monday tiered promo with code GOBIG15) | Necklace: Slate + Earrings: Gorjana via Rocksbox | Watch: Michael Kors
Yesterday was a gray and chilly day in Denver, so Sean and I headed over to Union Station to get brunch and check out the pretty Christmas decorations. We braved the cold for a few photos but mostly stayed cozy inside. It was the perfect opportunity to test run my new Chateau Parka.
I've had this coat on my wishlist since last winter, and I waited and waited for it to go on sale as the $365 full price was a bit steep. Unfortunately, it never seems to be part of the percent-off promotions J.Crew often runs. I waited until they had a tiered promotion and went for it then. When it arrived, I was happy to see that the quality was similar to my other higher-end wool coats. There is some pretty topstitching on the zipper placket and all seams appear to be well-constructed.
I did find that there was a less expensive version of this coat at J.Crew Factory: the Vail Parka. I had the opportunity to try it on in person in regular sizing, and while the finishing wasn't quite as nicely done as it is on the retail version, and the wool isn't quite as heavy, it is still a very cute coat, and the price point is much more affordable. It is down to only $115 for select colors ($139 for the rest) today as part of their Cyber Monday deal.
I took my regular J.Crew coat/dress size, 00P, and it fit me as expected. I saw some reviews that advised to size down, but I disagree. The 00P was the right size for me, especially given that in cold temperatures, I want to be able to layer or wear bulkier sweaters under it. At 4'11", the petite sizing was the right choice for me, but if you're a couple inches taller, I'd consider trying this coat on in regular sizing to make sure the overall and sleeve length work for you.
Another common complaint I noted in reviews was that the body of the coat was "too big." The body is an A-line, swing coat shape and bells out at the bottom. For me, I liked the silhouette and found it looked flattering and different from my other wool coats. The swing shape and fur-trimmed hood were what ultimately convinced me that this piece would be something unique in my coat closet.
Yesterday's temperatures only reached a high of 27°F/-3°C, and I was comfortable taking an evening walk in this coat with a chunky sweater underneath. I was lamenting my failure to bring mittens or gloves, but the front pockets kept my hands relatively warm despite a chilly wind. I was warm and dry even when a light snow began to fall, but heavier snow or wetter conditions would mean bringing out my water-resistant down coat or parka.
I'm so excited for decorating my house this week now that we've returned from our Thanksgiving weekend in the mountains. I am trying to get my shopping done as soon as I can to make the Christmas season as stress-free as possible. If your inbox looks anything like mine, making a plan for shopping today is a struggle. Here's my culled and curated list of Cyber Monday deals and my favorite pieces from each:
- Nordstrom: sale prices up to 60% off + price matching. My top picks are here.
- Bloomingdale's: 25% off almost everything, including fine jewelry + a rare 10% off most beauty items with code BEAUTY10
- J.Crew: 40% off 507 styles, including the sweater I'm wearing in this post
- J.Crew Factory: 50% off + an extra 15% off + free shipping. My picks: this plaid skirt and this incredibly soft buffalo check scarf.
- Hanky Panky: Signature Sale with 30-40% off classic styles with petite sizes available.
- Loren Hope: 20% off with code THANKFULLY (including the Blythe Necklace I'm wearing here).
- 7 For All Mankind: 40% off full-price items (including the white jeans I'm wearing in this post) + 20% off sale + $99 styles for men and women.
- Madewell: get 25% off your entire purchase, including already marked down items. I have my eye on this gorgeous Zip Transport Tote as a potential new work tote and this cute checked cape scarf as an easy one-size-fits-all gift.
- Shopbop: spend-more-save-more promo with code GOBIG15. If you spend $250, you will get 15% off; $500+ gets 20% off; and $1,000+ gets 25% off. This offer includes all full-price and sale merchandise. A few of my go-to pieces: Karen Walker sunglasses, Clare V leopard clutch, and these distressed J Brand skinnies.
- Ann Taylor: 50% off all items + free shipping with code EVERYTHING. This burgundy lace dress and festive red skirt caught my eye.
- LOFT: 50% off everything with code CYBER50 + free shipping. I have this sweater in gray (runs large) and this sweater in ruby (runs small) and both have gotten lots of wear already this fall.
Hope you find some great deals and stay warm this Cyber Monday! x, Tam